The historic Studio Towers, added to Carnegie Hall during 1894-1897, has undergone a full renovation to support the educational missions of the Weill Music Institute and provide greatly-improved spaces for Carnegie Hall’s backstage, archives, and offices. The newly created Resnick Education Wing is now home to 24 spaces dedicated to music education, including the Weill Music Room, rehearsal/teaching rooms, and individual practice rooms. Extensive backstage renovations provide an orchestra lounge at the Stern Auditorium/Perelman Stage level. as well as renovated dressing rooms and orchestra lounges, one of which serves as a Green Room. Reinforcing of steel trusses that supported the 1891 mansard roof are now exposed within new administrative offices above Stern Auditorium and provide the structural support for the rooftop Weill Terrace, a feature first envisioned by the building’s original architect in 1892 but not fulfilled until now.
KA’s surveying of the existing building, constructed of red Roman brick and arched terra cotta floor slabs embedded in a steel skeleton, was pivotal to planning efforts, identifying where new music spaces would be best situated to realize the high sound isolation demands and optimum acoustics while minimizing costs. Extraordinary isolation from the noisy metropolitan environment and potential disturbances originating within the building was achieved by using infill construction consisting of resiliently-supported floors, ceilings, and walls, including fully-glazed window walls and structural isolation of two new elevators.
Our leadership and continuity from start to finish on this seven-year project maintained superb acoustics integrity throughout many design and construction phases involving a multitude of collaborating designers and builders. The project is LEED Silver certified and has received several awards, including a 2017 AIA Award.